Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Riding Solo (for real this time)

Tuesday, December 14
So yesterday I claimed that rode solo on the house, when truthfully the kids were with Brandi most of the day. Today, they really were home with us clear through until dinner time. Since we moved our beds into the new house yesterday, and it's not quite livable yet, we stayed overnight at my parents' last night. We got the kids over to the new house with us this morning around 10, and Carson's face was priceless. I opened the door for him and he was in awe. "That's our couch!? And our chair?! And my table?! This is my new house!!" I wish I'd videotaped it, he was so excited.
I, on the other hand, was less excited. The cat smell is back with a vengeance! I tried starting laundry again, but it's just not keeping up with the major damages this home has suffered. We decided today that the carpet in the main floor is not salvageable, and must be replaced within weeks. We are set to close tomorrow, and need to see where our savings account is at after this. I just can't put Codie on floor that has this kind of filth (which produces an angry Codie, which means I'm holding Codie all day long, which means I'm getting nothing done on the house).
Lucky for us, the cable is still on in this house. I was able to get Carson set up in the den watching cartoons while Zach demoed the bathtub (it had a hole knocked through it). We got a new bathtub. We could have saved money with a $109 steel tub, but we knew we wanted a deep fiberglass model that was $239. Why pay $100 for something you're eventually going to replace with a $200 model? Nicer tub won. We aren't ready to tile the surround in that bathroom yet, so Zach picked up a veneer-like surround surface at $12/panel. We're not sure if it's waterproof. We just won't shower in that bathroom until it's actually tiled. Do as we say, not as we do, because we KNOW this temporary fix was sketchy.
I went through the house vacuuming the ceilings and walls (you read that right) to get rid of all the cobwebs. Can't say I've ever done that before, and by the looks of it, no one had at this place either. We have amazing vaulted ceilings in the living room, and a chandelier hanging from the highest pitch.The chandelier chain has collected a LOT of dust over the last 18 years, and I have no idea how to clean it! I've extended out the vacuum hose as long as I can, put the vacuum on top of a chair, climbed an 8 ft ladder, and STILL can't get to the top! Maybe we'll just worry about that when we're replacing that light.
When Carson got restless with cartoons, we started putting up our Christmas tree. Didn't get too far, so it's a little Charlie Brownish for us right now.
Kids went to my mom's for dinner, and that gave Zach and I a little time to prime the living room. It's already white, but we've heard (and hope) that priming will help deodorize. I'm unsure of how safe it is to have our kids in this place until we get the smell out.

Total amount spent today: $239 + 24 + x
Total amount spent to date: $378 + ? + x

No comments:

Post a Comment